Friday 26 June 2015

Describe an Environment

In writing we have been learning to use a range of language features to describe an environment. The pictures in the slideshow inspired our descriptions.



WALT - Describe an Environment


Through the musky air I crept into the green, gloomy forest. The long strangling vines were reaching out at me. The enormous trees were shutting out the gleaming sun. There was a quiet chirping noise from on top of the giant trees. I could hear footsteps, warning me something was coming close. I was terrified wondering what it could be. The environment wasn’t helping either with creepy howling noises filling the air and growls coming from behind the thick vines. What was going to happen next? I thought to myself.

By Skye

WALT - Describe an Environment

Crash! the sea rushed over my head. When I opened my eyes the sea had already covered my body. The angry currents forced me to move back and forth, back and forth. I clambered to the surface. The salty, sea spray rushed over my head. I took a deep breath and dived beneath the swirling waves. Beneath the waves I could see so many colours. The shimmering colours looked like they had been painted onto the fish. The coral was like an underwater table laid with food ready for the little fish to eat. I could see juicy sea slugs clambering onto the huge table sucking up all the yummy and nutritious food. The coral reef was like an underwater garden planted by Neptune and his helpers. Neptune’s necklaces were swirling everywhere. The ocean would hold many more surprises for me.

By Kevin.

WALT - Describe an Environment

The cave’s mouth was open wide to swallow me in. As I went inside I could smell salty water. Goosebumps were on my hands and arms. My mouth was dry with fear. I heard bats flapping. I felt sharp rocks pushing against me while I crept along. The cave had hundreds of rocks that were like doors blocking my path. It was a maze. The stalactites and stalagmites were almost joined by the dripping icy water. I was trapped in this fearful cave.

By Hemish.

WALT - Describe an Environment

The snow crashed on the ground like it was angry. The ice smashed on the ground like glass. I felt cold like I was in a freezer. The wind swished around like a whirlpool. The mountains looked like massive sand dunes. The people walked like zombies because they were so cold. The mountain started looking at me like it knew I had come the wrong way. I could hear the wind talking to me it was saying “go back you have come too far”.

By Kassius.

8 comments:

  1. Some excellent descriptions here team.
    Kevin, I really enjoyed your description of the coral as a table - very imaginative.
    Kassius - Well Done you really focussed well on this task and produced a great piece of writing. I particularly liked how you used personification to describe the wind as talking to you.
    Hemish - You painted a very clear picture in my mind of being in a gloomy, frightening cave. A great idea to describe the cave as a maze.
    Skye - Great use of personification to describe the vines as reaching out at you. You also included some awesome alliteration (green, gloomy) which helped create a vivid image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Skye.You used great describing words and I really learnt new things about the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Skye! I like how you used adjectives and descriptive language. Maybe you could add some similies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hemish, you had so many good adjectives

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skye I like how you had so many adjectives in you description

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing writing Room 5! Wow! Your word choices and imagery were brilliant and fabulous all rolled together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Skye,Kevin,Hemish and Kassius.You used wonderful adjectives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good work Hemish, I liked how you described the cave

    ReplyDelete